Top Menu Bar
- Follow on Facebook
- Follow on Twitter
- About D.G. McIntosh
Monday, July 06, 2020
Okay, I say I'm an album guy but most of my blogs focus on individual songs. This week I'll be backing up my talk with my list of the most impressive new album releases in this first half of 2020. I'm even going to rate them 1-10 which is something I normally don't do. It is also no surprise to me that I have picked five albums by females and five by males not by design, but for the fact that women in music today make up half if not more of the great music being created today.
Making an album of typically 9-12 strong songs has always been a tall order for any artist or band. On any good album there are maybe three outstanding tracks that jump off the needle. The trick is getting the listener to come back and listen to the rest of the tracks that always seem to get better the more you do come back. After several listens, these 'deeper cuts' suck you in and the whole thing just comes together into a cohesive unit. You then tell your friends about the album. In your long-term memory, you'll even remember (sometimes fifty years later) the time and place where you shared that album with a friend.
I hope you can make the time this week to listen to one or more albums here, start to finish. Maybe there's even a new favorite to add to your collection.
Stay well and enjoy my friends.
1. Sarah Jarosz • Review: World On The Ground • Purchase
2. Bob Dylan • Review: Rough And Rowdy Ways • Purchase
3. Nora Jones • Review: Pick Me Up Off The Floor • Purchase
4. Hiam • Review: Women In Music Pt. III • Purchase
5. Ayla Brook & The Soundmen • Review: Desolation Sounds • Purchase
6. James Elkington • Review: Ever Roving Eye • Purchase
7. Shelby Lynne • Review: Shelby Lynne • Purchase
8. Tomar & The FCs • Review: Rise Above • Purchase
9. Christian Lee Hutson • Review: Beginners • Purchase
10. Sarah Siskind • Review: Modern Appalachia • Purchase