The Covers Series:
When your favorite band covers a classic tune, their version is their interpretation — their translation — of the music. Is it better than the original? That's up for interpretation. Vocabulary.co
- Interpretation and the "Traditional Folk Song"
- The Singer as Interpreter • Volume I
- Singer-Songwriters Covering Singer-Songwriters • Volume I
- Beatles Covers • Volume I
|The Beatles under the covers in HELP!|
In putting together this Volume I of Beatles covers, I had three movies in mind that feature Beatles covers that would help shape the playlist.
I included the song, Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight from the 2016 animated film, Sing performed by Jennifer Hudson.
I also included the song, Across the Universe from the 1998 film, Pleasantville performed by Fiona Apple.
I then filled the rest of the playlist with mostly live Beatles covers some of which I had never heard before. I decided to only feature one cover song per volume playlist. For example, I found several excellent versions of Blackbird and Here Comes The Sun and they will likely appear in later volumes as the treasure of Beatles covers is deep and wide.
I also included a cover of George's Beware of Darkness which is from his solo album All Things Must Pass, and in the spirit of Chris Carter's (KLOS-FM) Breakfast with The Beatles I will include cover songs from the lads solo albums here and in future volumes as well.
Under The Covers. And on that note, I'll lead with Sid & Susie and their Beatles cover of And Your Bird Can Sing.
One last thing. In putting the playlist together this week I've been playing Beatle tunes in my head all week. Usually, I get one song I've picked for the playlist and that will be stuck in my head for several days. Here, I'm playing a different song or two or three a day in my head in the cover interpretation arrangements. The power of Beatle songs with all their composition just jumps right in and stimulates your brain in such a wonderful way. I don't need a reminder to know how special The Beatles are to me, but this past week brought back a wave of thought and emotion to punctuate how special John, Paul, George, Ringo, and George Martin are to the world.
Featured Covered Songs and Artists Include:
- And Your Bird Can Sing, Sid and Susie (aka Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs)
- Help!, Cover Club
- Blackbird, John Batiste
- Penny Lane, The Barefoot Movement
- I Want To Hold Your Hand, T.V. Carpio
- Interview with Paul regarding I Wanna Be Your Man
- I Wanna Be Your Man, The Rolling Stones
- I'll Be Back, Shawn Colvin
- Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight, Jennifer Hudson
- I Need You, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
- A Day In The Life, Jeff Beck
- All My Lovin', Amy Winehouse
- I Want You (She's So Heavy), Umphrey's McGee
- Let It Be, Bill Withers (w/Booker T. Jones on organ)
- Because, The Bangles
- Yesterday, Himesh Patel
- Paperback Writer, The B-52's
- Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, The Analogues
- Hello, Goodbye, The Cure
- Across the Universe, Fiona Apple
- Come Together, Gary Clark Jr.
- Hey Jude, Wilson Pickett (w/ Duane Almond)
- Strawberry Fields Forever, Todd Rundgren
- You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, Jackson Browne
- Every Little Thing, Yes
- Here Comes The Sun, Richie Havens
- Yesterday film scene- Ed Sheeran vs. The Long And Winding Road (Himesh Patel)
- I'm Looking Through You, The Wallflowers
- Get Back, Lenny Kravitz
- Rain, Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs
- I Should Have Known Better, James N. Brown
- Beware of Darkness, Sheryl Crow and Brandi Carlile
- Two of Us, Aimee Mann and Michael Penn
- Hey Bulldog, Dave Grohl and Jeff Lynne
- It's All Too Much, Steve Hillage
- Yes It Is, The Bangles - Breakfast With The Beatles w/Chris Carter
- We Can Work It Out, Stevie Wonder
- While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Eric Clapton (w/ Paul on piano and Ringo on drums)
- Don't Let Me Down and All You Need Is Love, Cast of Across The Universe Film
- Imagine, Tommy Emmanuel
- A masterclass in 60s furniture: The set design of The Beatles Help! (prompted by new film Eight Days a Week), Film and Furniture
- The 100 Best Beatles Covers, UCR (Ultimate Classic Rock)