|Moment the West Front of the Capitol is flanked and breached by Trump supporters.|
It's now one year later, and at least a simple majority of Americans still can't believe what we saw. Something that was so unthinkable, unbelievable, something that could never happen to OUR democracy, in our lifetime.The January 6th act of insurrection is the culminating event in the cascade of troubling events of Donald Trump's presidency.
Our exciting adventures and boldest endeavors have not yet begun. My fellow Americans, for our movement, for our children, and for our beloved country.
And I say this despite all that's happened. The best is yet to come.
So we're going to, we're going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. I love Pennsylvania Avenue. And we're going to the Capitol, and we're going to try and give.
The Democrats are hopeless — they never vote for anything. Not even one vote. But we're going to try and give our Republicans, the weak ones because the strong ones don't need any of our help. We're going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.
So let's walk down Pennsylvania Avenue.
I want to thank you all. God bless you and God Bless America.
Thank you all for being here. This is incredible. Thank you very much. Thank you."
|Mussolini and Trump|
Peter Stager, is accused of beating a
Capitol police officer with an American flag.
The result, experts say, is that another baseless challenge to an election has become more likely, not less.
“It’s not clear that the Republican Party is willing to accept defeat anymore,” said Steven Levitsky, a Harvard political scientist and co-author of the book “How Democracies Die.” “The party itself has become an anti-democratic force.”
American democracy has been flawed and manipulated by both parties since its inception. Millions of Americans — Black people, women, Native Americans and others — have been excluded from the process. Both Republicans and Democrats have written laws rigging the rules in their favor.
This time, experts argue, is different: Never in the country’s modern history has a a major party sought to turn the administration of elections into an explicitly partisan act. Nicholas Riccardi, AP News
8:00 mark (in the Chrome Browser).
Just slide the play bar back left to 0:00 to start.
- insurrection - https://www.britannica.com/topic/insurrection-politics
- Golden escalator ride: the surreal day Trump kicked off his bid for president - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/13/donald-trump-presidential-campaign-speech-eyewitness-memories
- Neil Young isn’t happy Trump used his song to announce bid -
- Decoding the hate symbols seen at the Capitol insurrection -https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/decoding-hate-symbols-seen-at-capitol-insurrection
- Donald Trump and Benito Mussolini: Striking Parallels - http://www.thehypertexts.com/Donald%20Trump%20Benito%20Mussolini%20Parallels%20Fascists.htm
- False Idol — Why the Christian Right Worships Donald Trump - https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/christian-right-worships-donald-trump-915381/
- Mary Trump Diagnoses the President -
- Read Trump's Jan. 6 Speech, A Key Part Of Impeachment Trial - https://www.npr.org/2021/02/10/966396848/read-trumps-jan-6-speech-a-key-part-of-impeachment-trial
- Arkansas man accused of beating Capitol police officer with American flag during riot -
- ‘Slow-motion insurrection’: How GOP seizes election power -
- Day of Rage: How Trump Supporters Took the U.S. Capitol -